users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:25:10 -0400

Hi,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Where before the server stopped responding within a few hours it has run for maybe 18 hours now without problem. This is after adding the Coyote JVM option below:
> -Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.useCoyoteConnector=true
>
> I would not yet call this conclusive. I think I should leave it running for several days.
>
> I also used ulimit to increase the number of allowable open files from 1024 to 8192, like so:
> ulimit -n 8192.

Well that make a big difference ;-) If there is a file descriptor leaks,
it will just takes more time to crash.

> I did this because I was seeing "too many open files" exceptions on my server.

That's the issue. GF will stop responding if it face that issue. Can you
do a netstat -an | grep web_port and post it? The current run (the one
with Coyote).

  The server is an Amazon EC2 instance running Ubuntu that hits S3
frequently. I believe this error to be unrelated to the unresponsive
server issue because I was seeing the server stop responding on both
machines that were experiencing the "too many open files" exceptions and
those that were not.

Hum....GF might not be able to throw any exception when the "too many
open files"....so I would think this is the same issue.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois