users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to address / lookup a local interface from a helper class

From: Joerg Gippert <jgippert_at_online.de>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 20:35:57 +0200

Hello,

well, if you are programming an application client, that wants to access
your EJB, then the interface that you will be getting is always a remote
interface. Local interfaces are only inside the J2EE container.

So, if you do this:
  Foo foo = (Foo) ic.lookup("FooEJB");

in your appclient, you'll get the remote interface of FooEJB. If you deploy
and run the same code inside a J2EE EJB 3.0 container (like Glassfish),
you'll get a local interface (not sure, if that also applies to clustered
environments, though)

Check this webpage, that gives some information on the topic:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/ejb/EJB_FAQ.html

Regarding the local and remote lookup:
If you want to exploicitly look up the remote interface, you can use this
code:

InitialContext initialContext = new InitialContext();
IBusinessService businessService = (IBusinessService)
initialContext.lookup("java:/BusinessService/remote");

Notice the "/remote" in the JNDI name.

Some more information is avilable here:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/pfd/jsr220/index.html . Click on
the donwload link and check out the simplified API and the Contracts PDF
files. It deals with JNDI naming conventions and also the remote/local
interface stuff in detail.

Regards,
Joerg