users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Eclipse breaks when GlassFish publishes

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 06:08:53 PDT

Rochelle:
Unfortunately I am not having the same success as you had. Over the last several days I have tried a number of different tests based on the solution you provided in your posting, however I continue to get the error in the publishing step when I select to "run on server". Perhaps its because I am running everything on a Vista machine? I don't know. Are you running on Windows or something else?

Here is a rundown of what I have tried so far:
1. Removed current Eclipse Europa with WTP installation
2. Cleared workspace folder
3. Uninstalled sjsas-9_1_01
4. Re-booted machine
5. Installed Eclipse Europa at c:\eclipse
6. Overlaid this install with the WTP download: wtp-R-2.0.2-
                     20080223205547_WTP
7. Downloaded and installed sjsas-9_1_02 to C:\Sun\Appserver
8. Started Eclipse Europa, downloaded GlassFish server adapter
9. After restart, completed the software updates as you described. I
                received the same two top level items as you did and unchecked the
                 mylyn one and checked the patches one
10. After restart I created a TestDynamicWepPJ and an index.jsp. When I
                clicked on this new index.jsp and selected to run on server, the server
                  started and, once again, when it got to the publish step, I received the
                  error and Eclipse closes. I have attached the log file if you would like
                 to look at it.
11. At this point I downloaded and installed Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) I
                used a fresh new workspace and I also used the software updates to
                 download what I found in the listing where patches to 3.4 ( software
                updates does not work the same as in Eclipse 3.3). Again I created a
                TestDynamicWebPJ and an index.jsp. When I tried to run this
                index.jsp on the server I again received the same error and Eclipse
                closed.

As I stated earlier, I tried all kinds of different flavors of the above – one without overlaying the Eclipse Europa install with the WTP, for example, and when I did that I received the HTTP 404 error I mentioned in my previous posting. When I received this HTTP 404 error I selected the server to “Publish” and again, I received the same error and Eclipse closed. When I reopened Eclipse I created a new index2.jsp in my tesDynamicWepPJ and selected to run on server and again I received the same results. At this point I overlaid the Eclipse installation with the WTP. When I went back into Eclipse and selected to run on server the index.jsp file that previously gave me the HTTP404 error, I did not get the 404 error, but instead got the same error when publishing and Eclipse closed.

Rochelle I am certainly grateful that you are assisting me here, and, if you want I am happy and willing to continue to perform more tests here at home on my machine in order to get to the bottom of this issue if it helps you and the Eclipse / GlassFish team. I don’t think we are hitting the exact problem here. I may be wrong but I believe there is still a bug somewhere that we have yet to uncover, or possibly it still exists when running on Vista. Do you have any idea why a solution works on your machine and not on mine? Is there some kind of configuration issue I need to be looking at?

Thanks again
Gary
[Message sent by forum member 'gmarshall56' (gmarshall56)]