users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Session beans and entity beans - which is best practice?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:36:14 PDT

Thanks for answering, Markus

There are lots of entity beans. Some are used only within a specific context, but some (i.e. the UserAccess entity) is used throughout the application. I could, of course, do UserAccess operations in a CoreServicesBean or SecurityServicesBean, and use this bean whenever neccessary. For example; in the Inbox module, I've included all Inbox-related bean operations (for several entity beans used only in the Inbox module) in the InboxServicesBean.

It's when I'm now implementing a more complex security that I meet the "dilemma" of using the CoreServicesBean for these operations and the InboxServicesBean for the rest, or creating a new UserAccessServicesBean for only the UserAccess entity, since these operations will be extended to all modules.

I am therefore uncertain whether I should group similar entities in a single session bean (with the recurring possibility that what seems like a logical group TODAY, might turn out too restrictive next month), or create a session bean for each entity.

// Marius
[Message sent by forum member 'mariusw' (mariusw)]