users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Domains vs. instances, mysql replication in cluster.

From: chenin <linux_at_orlowscy.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:01:44 -0700 (PDT)

> Do send us as many questions as you have and we will help.
Thank you, I do appreciate it !

> If you were to suffer a disk failure or hardware failure, you should
have backed up your domain configuration at specific points in time when ...

1) Should I after restoring domain.xml configuration redeploy all EAR
applications, or there is a better way of dumping and restoring all deployed
applications at once too ?

> We do have a load balancer plugin that works with Apache, Sun Web Server
and IIS. Yes this will provide you with failover functionality in
addition to things like sticky sessions, configurable routing policies etc.
The document of interest for this purpose is the High Availability Guide
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3679>.

According to:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV2Architecture
... highly available (This feature is under development in GlassFish)
... and optionally some level of failover (Failover functionality is under
development for GlassFish)

2) So is fail over functionality available in GFv2+apache or is it under
development ?

> The number of instances you can support in a single machine is limited
by the overall system memory. You will need to size and tune your heap
requirements for your production system to determine the number of
instances you can possibly support.

3) How much RAM do I need for instance to support 50 concurrent users ?

4) I know that domains do not share JDNI, do instances share JDNI, my
programmers need different JDNI for development and for production ?

> You don't need to. You can specify JDBC resources (database url using
jdbc protocol, driver, connection pool, etc, for your app to interact
with the DB) at the cluster level such that each instance in the cluster
talks to the same database server.

5) What happens when server A (working in cluster with server B) fails?
Java EE applications, if not mysql would be OK, because server B (because of
load balancing and fail over ) will now respond to http/https requests, but
because both servers working in cluster have been using the same mysql
database on server A it will not work ?
Of course mysql on server A could be replicated to server B, but JDBC in
cluster was set up to use mysql on server A, So after failure of server A do
I have to manualy configure JDBC to use now mysql on server B ?

6) Do let us know when you are in production and need
to have sustaining and support. Sun offers very reasonable rates for
commercial support of GlassFish. This helps when you need critical fixes
or to address problems on a priority basis.

Does Sun offers support for Linux FC5 + GF v2 + apache 2.2.x + mysql 5.0.x
installation, configuration or only for their products GF+ Sun webserwer +
sun database ?
Could you provide me with some pricing info.
We will be going to production stage very soon (may 2008).
So you answers are very valuable for me.

Regards
Slawomir