users@glassfish.java.net

Re: RPM for Glassfish V2? --> Update RPM creation underway

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:32:00 PDT

Well, I've been working on various things, including this RPM. I've got some of the basics sorted out, but it's a long way from being robust.

I'm making a few assumptions, which I hope are ok.

I'm building the RPM from the download (https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v2ur1-b09d.html), so I have had to do the unpack from the jar to get past the graphical popup that appears. Ideally if I had time (and a greater understanding), I'd prefer to attach this to the build process. I almost did this, but I noticed it's a Maven 1 build (I think) and I didn't want to work out how to get it all going - especially since I'm using Maven 2 to assist with the RPM building process. :)

By default, it will install in /var/lib (but this is relocatable) in a subdirectory called glassfish. So, you could install it in a user's home dir if you wanted.

Also by default it will put this under the username 'glassfish' and the group 'glassfish' (it will create the user if it doesn't exist - still to do this bit :) ). These can be overridden using environment variables (GLASSFISH_USERNAME and GLASSFISH_GROUP) since rpm installs are a non-interactive process.

If the rpm is uninstalled, all files are removed from the install directory, including domains. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not at this time (the domains aren't of much use without glassfish). I've yet to get the uninstall to stop all the domains that are running (wish there was a stop all domains command :) ).

So, for those that might be interested, any comments on the above? Any suggestions or improvements?
[Message sent by forum member 'lazjen' (lazjen)]