users@glassfish.java.net

Re: java web start error on deply - what is this

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:02:59 PST

I cannot be positive without seeing more of your app, but I have an idea what is wrong.

The code throwing the NPE is trying to provide Java Web Start support for a Java EE application client it thinks is inside your EAR.

I suspect you have a library JAR in your EAR that you have incorrectly flagged in your application.xml as a <java> module. That notation is for identifying application clients, not library JARs. (The NPE results from GlassFish's attempt to extract the main attributes from the JAR's manifest, and in your JAR there do not seem to be any main attributes. That's generally OK for a JAR, of course, but not for an app client JAR which is what GlassFish is expecting here.)

If that's the case, then removing that (and any other) <java> entries that do not actually identify app clients should resolve this. I think we improved the checking in later releases of GlassFish to avoid this sort of problem but I may be mistaken about that.

The Java EE 5 spec provides for you to place library JARs in a library directory within the EAR. By default, this is /lib but you can change it using the optional <library-directory> element.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]