users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Load balancing advice

From: Kshitiz Saxena <Kshitiz.Saxena_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:55:03 +0530

Hi Tiago,

I trying to understand your configuration with two machine( say machine1
and machine2).

Configuration 1:
1. DAS on machine1
2. Nodeagent1 on machine1
3. Nodeagent2 on machine2 talking to DAS on machine1
4. Cluster having instance1 with Nodeagent1 and instance2 with Nodeagent2

In this configuration, there is no concept of primary or backup node.
Both instance1 and instance2 are active. They can both service user
requests.

In above case, you can have single load-balancer which load-balance
requests to two instances in Cluster.

You can replicate load-balancer on other machine as well, to avoid
single point on failure. However in this deployment you need a hardware
load-balancer to distribute request to multiple software load-balancer.

Configuration 2:
1. DAS1 on machine1
2. Nodeagent1 on machine1
3. Cluster1 on machine1 having instance1 with Nodeagent1
4. DAS2 on machine2
5. Nodeagent2 on machine2
6. Cluster2 on machine2 having instance2 with Nodeagent2

In above case, you need two load-balancers. One configured with Cluster1
on machine1, and other configured with Cluster2 on machine2.

Now you will need further support such that machine2 with all its
configuration becomes active, when primary machine, i.e., machine1 is down.

Hope this helps,
Kshitiz