users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JMS Standalone Client

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:36:47 PST

Hi,

I agree with the fat client problem.

I had hopes that EJB3 would solve the dependency between client and server. But I now understand that a JMS client made for GlassFish will not work with a another JMS "server" like Websphere or JBoss. I guess that using while other beans, there are dependencies between clients and their server implementation. A little bit a waste I think.

The added value of JMS is standardized asynchronous communication. If we use web services instead we have to invent our own callback method.

See http://weblogs.java.net/blog/johnreynolds/archive/2006/02/can_i_call_you.html

Kuldeep, perhaps you should have a look at JMX. JMX clients are thin clients and events can be used as callback. JMS can be used between different EJBs inside the appserver to simulate multi threading.

Perhaps this is not so fancy as EJB and Web Services. What do other people think?
[Message sent by forum member 'jooper' (jooper)]