users@glassfish.java.net

Classloader Hierarchy and the Shared Chain classloader

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:35:17 PST

I'm a bit confused as to where the Shared Chain classloader fits into glassfish's classloader hierarchy.

Looking at https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/javaee5/docs/DG/beade.html
The hierarchy doesn't include the shared-chain loader and shows that the parent of the connector loader is the common loader.

Reading the table below the diagram is where I get confused. In the description for the Shared Chain loader, it says "It is parent to the Connector Classloader". So is the parent of the connector loader the shared chain, or the common loader? (or both?)

The reason I'm asking is that I implemented a custom realm that relies on some libraries in the common classloader. The realm gets created properly at startup, but whenever It tries to call my login module I get a NoClassDefFoundError for the classes that should be available in the common loader. This would seem to imply that the common loader is not the parent of the shared-chain loader.

Thanks.
[Message sent by forum member 'jodeen' (jodeen)]