users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Need help about port range used by Glassfish node <--> DAS

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:32:09 -0800

On Feb 21, 2008, at 3:56 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> John, you're right, but...
>
> In my original post i wrote about a "cluster environment with a DAS
> on a subnet and two nodes on another subnet, firewalled" exactly for
> these reasons.

OK, I missed that post. From a DAS perspective, I think RAM is going
to be the resource to watch. Not much in the way of CPU overhead with
the DAS. As I mentioned, capacity plan as best you can given your
deployment topology and do your best to not starve the DAS of CPU for
when you need to manage the cluster. You can actually shut down the
DAS after the cluster is up-and-running, but then you'll have the
overhead of DAS startup/shutdown to manage the cluster. Probably more
trouble than it is worth. Aim jMeter at the cluster - with your
expected load - while you try to manage the cluster via the DAS, and
that will give you an idea of what it will be like.