users@glassfish.java.net

Asymetric and asynchronous messaging

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:03:59 +0100

JMS allows asymmetric and asynchronous messaging:
* It is asymmetric, because the sender doesn't know who the receiver is
and vice versa (and potentially, there can be zero, one or an endless
list of receivers).
* It is asynchronous, because the receiver might receive the message
days past sending it.
That makes JMS a great means for loose coupling of systems that do not
even know of each other's existence: JMS is really great for EAI and
event-action-chains!
When you're an emitter, just fire your event. No need to know wo cares
for this event, or what the correct reaction would be. When you're an
actor, just wait for an event. No need to care for who sent it actually
(or when).

But nowadays there are these WS-* things, and JavaEE stakeholders
invested a lot of efforts in adding all of them to the Java world. So
the questions is: Is there a similar technology for asymetric,
asynchronous messaging in the WebServices-Universe? I mean, if I cannot
use JMS, or just do not want to, is there a replacement with these
semantics defined by one of those WS-* Standards? And which of them is
incorporated into JavaEE?

Thanks
Markus

--