users@glassfish.java.net

Re: user to deploy applications

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:14:40 PST

This is a great question and there are ways to do this in GlassFish V2. We are improving the
situation in GlassFish V3.

In short, GlassFish V2 does not have the role-based access control for your server. It can have
multiple "admin users and passwords", but they are all identical in terms of what they can
achieve. Thus an admin user "admin1" can step on another admin user "admin2" and vice versa.

This demands some kind of understanding and shared norms between your developers if you
have a small development shop. But the software does not restrict an innocent developer (!) from
committing mistakes that makes the entire server unstable.

A feature of GlassFish that can help such environment is called a personalized admin domain.
Thus, every developer group you have (assuming a group works on a given set of apps) can
create a domain and be the owner of that domain, having full, unrestricted access of the server.

Assuming you are the owner of the GlassFish domain that has your production apps, you can
then own that particular domain, thus making the need to share password unnecessary.

The command to look into is: "asadmin create-domain --adminport ... --domaindir ..."

This is a good way to move onto production from several staging environments.

I understand that this is a round-about way of doing things, but that's the best that we have,
at the moment.

Regards,
Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]