users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Suggestion of Torrent based Downloads

From: Christopher Frost <frostcs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:26:51 -0500

On Thursday 07 February 2008 01:07:21 am Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart wrote:
> I thought it was not possible to track downloads via bittorrent, am I
> mistaken?

You are correct, if a tracker is put in place, it is easy to track downloads.
I'd have to do more research on whether you can track downloads on DHT
torrents. But, a few of us were testing a few minutes ago, and found out that
with "just" DHT, interoperability between torrent clients becomes an issue.
Therefore a tracker would be necessary, meaning all downloads would be
tracked. :-)

> As you say, we would like to track donwloads for adoption metrics - both
> in time and in geography. We are starting to track also Update Center
> pings, and that will give us another mechanism to track adoption, but
> that is just starting to phase in.
>
> As GlassFish stats showing in more distros (OpenSolaris, Ubuntu, Other
> Linux, etc) we will not be able to rely only on our download statistics,
> so BitTorrent is just the beginning.

Some of the good things about torrents is you have a failsafe if you need to
take a server down, or if the server takes itself down. Data loss and
corruption also isn't a problem since the torrents check themselves for
integrity. Which is a really nice thing to have, and easy for users who don't
know about md5 utilities and such. Even more so, like java, there is pretty
much a torrent client for every system.