users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Dynamic lookup of a local session bean

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:10:17 PST

By explicit reference I meant either the old fashioned way through the DD ejb-jar file or the new way through injection.

Yes, it may be considered to be an assembly issue. However please consider the following example (one of a bunch that we have):

We have a generic infrastructure to execute services (including local session beans) asynchronously which involves a message driven bean.

Now when a developer adds a new service (EJB), he will have to know that it is not enough to simply create a service. You also have to explicitly couple it with every possible context that can trigger it. So in my example they have to update the ejb-jar file of the generic MDB that provides asynchronous behavior to services.

It is more or less bearable when we talk about the web context. But when it comes to EJBs which get their own environment, it becomes a pain.

On the app servers that we currently support, this is not an issue because local interfaces could be accessed (in some way) through global JNDI (Weblogic, SAP Netweaver, JBoss).

I don't mind to even publish remote interfaces, if glassfish could distinguish local calls, and bypass serialization (like Weblogic for example), and thus avoid the performance penalty.

Mikhail
[Message sent by forum member 'mshapirov' (mshapirov)]