users@glassfish.java.net

Incomplete Subtyping

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:08:52 PST

I'm trying to implement persistence with an existing database.

The database has a lot of subtyping where the discriminator column can contain multiple values that indicate there are no records in any subtype table.

For example, table A has discriminator colum z with allowed values 1,2,3,4,5
If the value is 2, than the B subtype table should be used.
If the value is 3, than the C subtype table should be used.
However, values 1, 4 & 5 do not have subtype tables associated with them.

Is it possible to handle this kind of structure using TopLink?

Because I'm trying to implement on top of an existing database, it would be very difficult to change the database and split the discriminator column values out.
[Message sent by forum member 'tfriest' (tfriest)]