users@glassfish.java.net

Dynamic Data Model and mapping suggestions

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:55:38 PST

Hi Friends -

I'd appreciate your expert thoughts and suggestions for the below requirement.

We dont have a static entity model i.e. our table doesnt contain a fixed set of coulmns. Or we doesnt want our CUSTOMER entity to contain just id, firstName, lastName and age. We want our entity to be generic (name=value pair) so that we can accomodate N number of attributes without touching the TABLE def. This gives us lot of flexibility while boarding new customers etc. As of now our CUSTOMER table has around 200 attributes (and increasing).

How are these kind of scenarios designed/modeld in the DataBase? What concepts in JPA or Hibernate can help me model this?

Thank you in advance.
[Message sent by forum member 'aravindy' (aravindy)]