users@glassfish.java.net

Problem with GF and SSL: IE accepts certificate but Firefox doesn't

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:02:20 PST

Hi,

I'm looking for a SSL certificate for my server. I have a strange problem with a test certificate, and I have too little knowledge about SSL to troubleshoot this, so I would be grateful for any hints how to tackle this.

I have received a 30-day test certificate and I installed it in Glassfish version b09d-fcs. I followed the various instructions about installing certificates in Glassfish:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=How_to_ssl_versign
http://blogs.sun.com/swchan/entry/how_to_use_verisign_cert
http://blogs.sun.com/enterprisetechtips/entry/using_ssl_with_glassfish_v2

The problem is that Internet Explorer 7 accepts the certificate without warning, but Firefox 2 does display a warning that the certificate cannot be verified. When I look at the certificate properties in Internet Explorer, it displays the intermediate certificates. When I look at the certificate properties in Firefox, it does not display the intermediate certificates.

So where should I start to find out what is wrong? Can this be a Glassfish configuration problem, or could it be a problem in Firefox?

If anybody wants to take a look, the problem should be reproducible by looking at the following URL with IE and Firefox:

https://www.pluginsmithy.com:8181

Thanks
Stephan
[Message sent by forum member 'smuehlst' (smuehlst)]