users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Comparison of Open Source Application Servers

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:12:24 -0800

I'm not sure what your comparison criteria are. From a GlassFish
perspective, here are the *high-level* differentiators:

1) GlassFish is the fastest open source application server.
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/sdo/archive/2007/07/sjsas_91_glassf.html
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/sdo/archive/2007/11/a_scalable_spec.html

2) GlassFish offers centralized management of clusters and instances
distributed across multiple servers.

3) Outstanding documentation (we are told that this is a differentiator)
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1343.5

4) Microsoft .NET 3.0 web services interoperability
https://metro.dev.java.net/

5) Java Business Integration support
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=208

6) Ease of use (based on community/customer feedback), much of which
centers around the administration console and easy cluster creation and
configuration. Just a few clicks.

7) Call flow analysis for diagnosing performance problems
Summary description, along with other features, here:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/glassfish/GFv2OpenforBusiness/

8) High performing message queue implementation (Open Message Queue),
with a highly available message store.
https://mq.dev.java.net/

9) Update center for downloading additional features, samples,
blueprints, etc.

10) Java EE 5 reference implementation. Full Java EE 5 support a year
(or more) ahead of the others open source appservers

I'd like to work with you on updating the following chart as you learn more.
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishVsTomcat

Feel free to contact me directly for any questions you may have about
GlassFish
John dot Clingan at Sun dot COM