users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why are Remote method calls so expensive?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:45:30 PST

But it's not using RMI, I think it's using IIOP.

I was actually able to get a quick test run with a WebService. (NB, GF, and JAX-WS ftw!).

WebServices can only marshal object trees, and not graphs, so I had to break some relationships for my test.

But I was shocked to find that the WS was only marginally slower than my serialized byte array, and it used LESS memory than the byte array. The WS beat the tar out of the stock Remote EJB call.

I thought this was very interesting.

Mind, I'm not going to be switching over any time soon, but it'll be something to think about in the future.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]