users@glassfish.java.net

Re: COMMUNITY HELP: GlassFish V3 admin console improvements

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 04:16:51 PST

Other things while I think about them...

When the EJB entity manager gets out of sync with the database (usually because of app bugs or just active development) it would nice to have a "flush entity manager" button - obviously one could just create a button in their application to do the same thing... but I'm a lazy man.

Would be nice to browse domain access logs like server logs via asadmin, possibly find out who is currently authenticated might also be nice.

How about the ability to dump all or specific domain.xml settings, with the option to import them on another server. For example, do all your dev on one server (create db pools, jms resources, virtual domains, etc) for a particular app then dump only those settings out and import them into the prod server (or test server - if you have a fat IT budget...)

This stuff has probably already been mentioned but: cleverer database connection creation:

- Create a connection pool via a nice wizard, give it username, password and server name, and it gives you drop down fields for things like the databases available
- At the end of the process give you the option to automatically create a JDBC resource for that connection

I also second the ideas for:

- Optional manual edit of DD during or after deployment (AdminConsole-011)
- JMS wizards: Create destination and factory at the same time, I agree with the destination name thing, I didn't understand why that was suddenly added in either
- AdminConsole-023: Container error messages always seemed too numerous for me, i.e. if you add a field to an entity but forget to update the table structure you get about 50 error messages from a result of an SQL error (at least in V1 anyway)
- AdminConsole-024: The "common tasks" screen could be generated from frequently used functions, would also be nice to have some sort of "health" report on this screen too (covered by AdminConsole-008 I think)
[Message sent by forum member 'danielrhoades' (danielrhoades)]