users@glassfish.java.net

WS-AtomicTransaction Performance

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 05:15:14 PST

Hi,

I'm playing around with transactional WebServices:
Two stateless session beans, each annotated as WebMethod with TransactionAttributeType.REQURED and running on it's own instance of Glassfish2UR1, are communicating with each other.

A simple JSE Main method invokes WebService A, which calls WebService B which then reads something out of a database and returns the result. Because of the transaction annotation, both WebServices take part in a distributed transaction.

That seems to work pretty well but the performance is disastrous:
Measured from the clint, the roundtrip takes 2100 msecs. After setting WebService A's transaction attribute to NOT_SUPPORTED, the roundtrip only takes 30 msecs.

Although I expected a low performance with transactional WebServices, I didn't expect it to be 70 times slower.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the communication?

Thanks,

Norbert
[Message sent by forum member 'realsnowbird' (realsnowbird)]