users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Serving web content performance and load balancing question.

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:19:41 -0500

Hi,

I will let people answer the clustering question, but just one comment:

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> We are looking at the two alternatives for a clustered environment. The first being the with a hardware lb sitting in front of multiple web servers which lb the cluster. The second is just having the hw lb sitting in front of the GlassFish cluster.
>
> My question is has there been any performance comparisons with these approaches? In the first approach we have another layer for requests to pass through but since we are using a native compiled web server I would suspect static content would be served quicker.
>
> With the second we are relying on GlassFish's web server capabilities which I suspect is not as fast or efficient as say SJWS for serving content but we have eliminated another tier and the need for the lb plugin.

Hey Hey :-)

Have you try it with your application? You might be surprised how fast
GlassFish can be ;-) I would recommend you try (make sure you read [1])
to see which one is the fastest with your application/load/OS. Might be
SJWS, might be not ;-)

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois

[1]