users@glassfish.java.net

Serving web content performance and load balancing question.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:15:12 PST

We are looking at the two alternatives for a clustered environment. The first being the with a hardware lb sitting in front of multiple web servers which lb the cluster. The second is just having the hw lb sitting in front of the GlassFish cluster.

My question is has there been any performance comparisons with these approaches? In the first approach we have another layer for requests to pass through but since we are using a native compiled web server I would suspect static content would be served quicker.

With the second we are relying on GlassFish's web server capabilities which I suspect is not as fast or efficient as say SJWS for serving content but we have eliminated another tier and the need for the lb plugin.

Is there particular cases for using one approach over the other? Are there some performance benchmarks for each of these cases?

Thanks, S.D.
[Message sent by forum member 'samdoyle' (samdoyle)]