users@glassfish.java.net

Re: confused with using a JCA to connect to a JMS provider or usual connection factory definition way

From: Sivakumar Thyagarajan <Sivakumar.Thyagarajan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:25:59 +0530

Hi

> for example we can send message to a jms provider by defining a
> connection factory / destination that point to that particular JMS
> server, cat we?

The J2EE Connector architecture defines the "standard message provider
pluggability contract" that allows a JMS implementation [like Swift MQ] to be
plugged into a J2EE 1.4 or above compatible application server [like Sun's
Application Server or GlassFish]
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/connector/overview.html#4

So, though a CF/Destination could be used to send a message from an application
component, by default, an AS implementation would only send the JMS message to
the message provide it comes with [Glassfish comes with OpenMQ (Sun's
MessageQueue implementation)]. In order to integrate a 3rd party JMS provider to
an application server, in a portable a connector needs to be used.

> if yes, why they should bother them self to develop JCA adapter ? does
> it provide some performance improvement or something?

Swift MQ has to provide its own adapter, because they could leverage their
custom protocols/APIs to communicate with their product implementation. However,
if a JMS provider does not provide a resource adapter, a generic RA like Generic
RA http://genericjmsra.dev.java.net, that leverages the JMS implementation of
the product, could be used.

Thanks
--Siva