users@glassfish.java.net

Hibernate performance and Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:52:03 PST

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with using Hibernate as persistence provider for Glassfish. It was fairly easy to get Hibernate working, just copy the required jar files and change persistence provider in the persistence.xml. However, when I started testing I noticed that the performance was really bad compared to Toplink. I haven't done any thorough performance testing but I have a timer in a client application and it seems that it takes about the double amount of time to perform the requests when using Hibernate. For Toplink it takes about 40ms and for Hibernate about 80ms.

I am using ehcache as 2nd level cache for Hibernate and I also enabled query caching.

Anyone knows if Hibernate is just slower or that Toplink is so much more optimized with Glassfish?
[Message sent by forum member 'woel' (woel)]