users@glassfish.java.net

Newbie: Trying to understand first and maybe contribute in the future

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:17:23 PST

I tried following the instruction for building glassfish by installing CVS, downloading the source and building with maven per the directions, but I all I got were build errors.

I then tried building in Netbeans 6.0 beta2 and got errors as well until I changed the source level to 1.6. It then seemed to build okay and after much rooting around found the build in the distributions directory, which I extracted to a separate directory (c:\glassfish). This is all on windows xp by the way.

It would not start using asadmin asking if the server were running?

After more googling I found a page ( http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3FullBuildInstructions )saying I needed to run glassfish like this:
java -jar glassfish/lib/glassfish-10.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

which I did and the server did start and I was able to see it at http://localhost:8080

but then when I try to use asadmin to start domain1 or for anything (e.g. asadmin --help) it says SUCCESS but can't find the command.

I guess I'm just very confused and thrashing around due to what appear to be old instructions that don't work (e.g. maven build directions) and lack of concise and clear "How to get Started" direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

KAC
[Message sent by forum member 'kennychaffin' (kennychaffin)]