users@glassfish.java.net

Moving ALL sites and apps to Glassfish V2! :) Need some simple advice

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:20:42 PST

After 2 years of trying to "sell" Java here at work, I've finally cracked 'em and we'll be migrating all of our web sites away from ASP, VB, ASP.NET, etc. over to Java EE on Glassfish. Finally, after getting SSL to work properly on Glassfish v2 and getting our ecommerce app(s) to run properly, everyone was more willing to concede.

Now, on to the questions I have as to how to approach this.

1) We don't use *any* other server-side technology...once our sites and apps are converted one-by-one...if it needs to access a database, it is going to use JPA. That being said; is there any necessity for using a "front-end" to Glassfish, such as Apache? Our ecommerce app is served directly from GF on port 80, which is how I'd prefer it.

2) If the answer to #1 is, "no, all you need is Glassfish" - then what would be the best approach for our "brochure" sites, which are maintained by the design staff. They'd be accessing pages and resources for updates regularly and a compressed archive (i.e. .ear file) isn't acceptable, since they would use something like Dreamweaver to edit pages and not Netbeans or another Java IDE. Simply put, can I drag/drop files to Glassfish to publish them as I would with Apache or IIS-based, static web sites?

3) If the answer to #3 is "yes" - can I deploy full-on Java EE apps as uncompressed files? If I'm using Netbeans, what am I copying into Glassfish and where do I copy it to?

Thank you VERY much in advance!

-Vinnie
[Message sent by forum member 'zambizzi' (zambizzi)]