users@glassfish.java.net

Re: RE: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: Gabor Szokoli <szocske_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:57:50 +0100

These might be more like J2ee standards extension issues, but anyway:

I end up augmenting each .ear or .war I ship for deployment with a
small shell script which calls asadmin a few times to set up and test
JDBC connection pools. (to be honest, since I need to have this script
anyway, I just create the database and tables from here too, even
though I know TopLink could create them for me if I only asked. (not
sure about indexes though.))

So I'd like to see a method of packaging this kind of information
along with an .ear .

On the other hand some of the things in the web.xml and
persistence.xml strike me as if they would need to be specific to each
deployment, like init-params, or the existence of an optional
persistence unit.

So I'd like to see a method for simply and reliably manipulating, or
overriding such settings in the war.

And finally a big "me too" for application and configuration
versioning and rollback!
Oh, and our clients, often used to CISCO IOS and similar non-graphical
interfaces find the usability of asadmin somewhat lacking (tab
completion, context-sensitive help, etc.)

Gabor Szokoli