users@glassfish.java.net

Re: System security

From: Gabe Wong <gabrielw_at_ngasi.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:43:16 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> I am setting up a new Glassfish install on Debian. I have everything running fine. I need to run virtual servers. I understand the listeners and server on glassfish. I know how to use iptables to reroute port 80 to 8080. Here is my dilemma, I want to run the domains under a different user than root for security and I want to startup those domains at system startup. I have glassfish starting up automatically now, but not sure how to make all domains startup under their user name and how to create those domains under their user name.
>
> Is Glassfish secure enough to run under root?

For running under different users, it would be best for each user to
have their own installation. Disk space is cheap enough.
I would say the main question with regards to root and security, is how
secure your application is? Most exploits are due to
the applications and not the engine running it.

--
Regards
Gabe Wong