users@glassfish.java.net

App Server 9.1 dies upon exit

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:42:57 PDT

Hi!

Fresh install Glassfish v2 (SJAS9.1) on Sparc Solaris 10, 0807.

- local net logged in as root from xterm (gnome-terminal technically)
- start server
# /opt/SUNWappserver/bin/asadmin start-domain domain1
- server runs fine for as long as I'm logged in
- logout
- server is gone, physically not running, nothing logged

- tried background '&' both with/with redirect stdin,stdout,stderr I/O to /dev/null
- still same issue

- the ONLY way the server stays up is with startup from cron
- I'm assumming a start from /etc/rc3.d would also work the same, since in both
cases the process is not tied to a terminal.

The impact is mostly a manual 'restart' of app server. Since you can't manually
restart and keep app server alive.

'Old' iplanet became a well behaved 'daemon' upon command line start. I'm not
sure how to accomplish same with GF.

Is this related to 'java' startup in some way? Am I missing a 'flag'?

Is there any way to provide the redirects so that the app server can be started manually?

Appreciate immensely the help this forum provides!

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!
- Dan
[Message sent by forum member 'htsguru' (htsguru)]