users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to set jvmRoute for AJP/mod_jk load balancing

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:54:04 PDT

OK, so the jvmRoute seems to be useful only as long as all instances in the cluster are healthy.

To be honest, I don't think this is very useful :-). It doesn't mean we won't support it, but it would help if you could do some research on how the jvmRoute is used during a failover. I'm afraid there may be more to this than just appending the jvmRoute to the JSESSIONID.

The information used by the loadbalancer to preserve stickiness of a session needs to be dynamic, i.e., there must be a way for it to be updated (to point to the new instance) after a failover situation. This also means it really should not be encoded as part of the JSESSIONID, which makes it immutable.

Various other loadbalancers support a sticky flag that is updated after a failover. Again, if you could help us understand how the jvmRoute is used after a failover, that would help.

Jan
[Message sent by forum member 'jluehe' (jluehe)]