users@glassfish.java.net

How to set jvmRoute for AJP/mod_jk load balancing

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:14:57 PDT

When using Glassfish with Apache via the AJP protocol (i.e. with mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp), how can I achieve the equivalent of Tomcat's "jvmRoute" setting so as to obtain sticky-session load balancing?

For sticky-session load balancing mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp expect that each servlet engine they're load balancing over has a unique id, "jvmRoute". Each servlet engine is expected to append this id (with a separator in between, ":" or ".", I forget which offhand) to the end of all session ids they generate. How do I make Glassfish do this?

I looked through the documentation and can find no mention of such an approach nor any clues as to how to specify a "session id suffix" or such either.

[This is a critical enabling capability to incrementally move from Apache + load-balanced Tomcats to Apache + load-balanced Glassfishes. Having to switch out Apache at the same time makes moving in this direction substantively harder.]
[Message sent by forum member 'jess_holle' (jess_holle)]