users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How do I run GlassFish on ports 80 & 443 non-root?

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:28:54 -0700

What operating system?

On Solaris you can use the usermod command to "uplevel" a user's
priveleges in a granular fashion. For listening to ports under 1024,
add the net_privaddr privilege to the user the appserver is running as.
The OpenDS project as a good writeup on this for directory server.

https://www.opends.org/wiki//page/RunningTheServerAsANonRootUser

Me-thinks we should update our FAQ in a similar manner:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=FaqRunAsNonRootUser