users@glassfish.java.net

JEE newbie question (related to glassfish)

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:16:23 PDT

Hello,

I'm not [i]completely [/i] new to Java development, and I have written quite a few Java based applications (included multi threaded applications, with concurrency support and all that) during my studies. [b]However[/b], I never been exposed to the Java EE framework, so im currently in the process of reading thought the JEE5 tutorial. And

First question, about the VM. Is a VM created per. web application, per. thread or per. server? If i was to create a static class, and dump it in the appropriate directory in a web application director, and the class had a property for counting or whatever, how would this static class be scoped? Would it be shared across all threads in the web-application? And, how would this work with the clustering feature of glassfish?

I'm aware that sessions could be used instead of a static class, I am asking simply out of curiously :)

Next question, about the DAS node in a glassfish cluster, I am aware that the node isn't required to be "live" for the cluster to run. And that its "only" used for administration, however, is it possible to implement redundancy? This bit from the glassfish cluster overview wiki-page confuses me a bit:

[i]"It must be possible to have a failover plan for the DAS for example if the node on which it is running fails. This will include the ability to backup the Central Repository and and restore it onto a newly created DAS."[/i]

does that mean, it is possible? or that it will be, in the future :D

Second last question :D (sorry about all these questions :P)
How "transparent" is the clustering seen from a webapplication developers perspective? Is it possible to set up a cluster, so the developer can use JEE5 freely and and worry about the war being deployed on a cluster?

Last question :P
When the load balancers forward a request to a glassfish cluster, does it collect the response from the application server, and send this back to the client. Or does the node in the application cluster communicate directly with the client?

Hope to get a little feedback here, and sorry if I been asking dumb questions :)
[Message sent by forum member 'stooopiddev' (stooopiddev)]