users@glassfish.java.net

purpose of ORB "Total Connections" setting

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:51:30 PDT

I have a question about the "Total Connections" setting in the ORB window.
When I lower it, what exactly will be limited?

The admin console help says:
  Maximum number of incoming connections at any time, on all listeners.

I suppose there is a difference between this setting and the number of threads in my thread pool because the number of connections can be greater than the number of threads in the pool:
When the business method to my EJB finishes the thread is returned to the pool, but the connection is kept open for a while even after the response has been received by the client.
Is that right? I believe keep-alive does the same with HTTP.

I tried to see what would happen when the limit is reached by setting the total number of connections smaller than the number of threads in the pool, and accessed my EJB's business method from more clients than the specified connections. I added a sleep to my business method to make sure the calls would be processed simultaneously. And they were, with no errors due to the shortage of connections.
So I suppose I misunderstood this setting.

Could anyone shed some light?

Thanks!
[Message sent by forum member 'dkoper' (dkoper)]