users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JMS behind firewall does not work :/

From: Piero Filippin <filippinp_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:35:33 +0100

Any progress with this one? The same is happening to me, GF v58g.

When I start lookup for the jms ConnectionFactory or Topic from a
standalone client I get in the console:

com.sun.messaging.jms.ra.ResourceAdapter start
INFO: MQJMSRA_RA1101: SJSMQ JMS Resource Adapter starting...
com.sun.messaging.jmq.jmsclient.ExceptionHandler throwConnectionException
WARNING: [C4003]: Error occurred on connection creation [XXX:_7676_]. -
cause: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

This is obviously right, port 7676 is closed by the firewall. If I open
it to allow JMS, I get:

com.sun.messaging.jms.ra.ResourceAdapter start
INFO: MQJMSRA_RA1101: SJSMQ JMS Resource Adapter starting...
com.sun.messaging.jmq.jmsclient.ExceptionHandler throwConnectionException
WARNING: [C4003]: Error occurred on connection creation [XXX:_46328_]. -
cause: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

I can see that a connection is first made to 7676, and after that to a
random port (that keeps changing with every GF restart - it looks like
the connection to 7676 is done to negotiate the random port).

 From netstat, I can see:
tcp 0 0 :::46464
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::48201
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 ::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3820
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::8686
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 ::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3920
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::4848
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::8080
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::37523
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:46355
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 ::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3700
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
tcp 0 0 :::8181
:::* LISTEN 20437/java
_tcp 0 0 :::46328
:::* LISTEN 20437/java_
tcp 0 0 :::7676
:::* LISTEN 20437/java

This prevents the application being used in my organization, as only a
small subset of development machines are inside the firewall, while
normal client are outside - if the port is fixed I can open it on the fw.

(Also, note there are other "random upper" ports GF is listening to, I
am pretty sure JMS is not the only component with this behavior).

Piero Filippin