users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Selectively replacing server classes

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:54:25 PST

domain.xml classpath-prefix attribute is defined in glassfish\lib\dtds\sun-domain_1_3.dtd

classpath-prefix
    A java classpath string that is prefixed to server-classpath
classpath-suffix
    A java classpath string that is appended to server-classpath
... ...

I like the idea of having a special service-pack directory. It will benefit both product use and development time as well. What I'm currently doing, when I get a patch jar to test, is to do the following steps:

make a temp dir
unjar the patch jar
find the appserver jar that contains the patched classes (usually appserv-rt.jar)
back the original jar to <jar-name>.orig
jar uvf $GLASSFISH_HOME/lib/appserv-rt.jar /tmp/patch/com/sun

See these are very manual steps. I don't want to edit my domain.xml to add a classpath-prefix to point to a jar or directory.

One limitation of classpath-prefix is that you have to include a specific jar name, or a specific directory that contains class files, which are different for every patch. Not sure if the wildcard (*) in classpath-prefix is supported or not in glassfish when running with JDK 6.

-cheng
[Message sent by forum member 'cf126330' (cf126330)]