users@glassfish.java.net

Connectivity Exceptions

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:29:04 PDT

I have a Java SE standalone application using toplink. When I tested on my windows machine with a local MySQL db it works fine. On a linux server, connecting to a linux mysql system I get a broken pipe error each time I run the code (at a specific point). I can't control too many of the settings on the mysql system on linux so I tried a test and ran the code from my windows machine pointing to the linux db -- I get a EOFException at the same point I got the Broken Pipe on unix.

At a high level the code is doing the following:

Load some object from DB
Run lots of in memory calculations (take 10 mins or so)
Save about 10K objects (all one transaction)

The errors occur trying to save the 10K objects, and if I reduce the time to run the calculations the errors occur less frequently. It seems like if I don't do any big transactions and break each update into its own trans the issue goes away (but I need to do more testing to say that with 100% confidence).

Any ideas?

Thanks
[Message sent by forum member 'fsa3' (fsa3)]