users@glassfish.java.net

Re: AccessControlException using Java Web Start. Appclient script works.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:09:51 PDT

Hi, Ryan.

You should not have to do anything with the policy yourself for this to work.

One key difference between the appclient and the Java Web Start launch environments is that Java Web Start uses a security manager always; the default is not to use a SM for the appclient case. That in itself is not a bug but that seems to be triggering the problem you are seeing.

GlassFish and Java Web Start should be granting the required permissions to the code and that seems to not be happening correctly. Can you please do the following in a command window:

1. Define the environment variable set JAVAWS_VM_ARG=-Djava.security.debug=all.
2. Use the Java Control Panel to turn on Java Web Start tracing. (This captures all output from each Java Web Start launch to a file.) See http://blogs.sun.com/quinn/entry/launch_that_app_client - near the end of the post are instructions for turning on tracing.)
3. Launch the app client using javaws "http://host:port/your-client-url"
4. Look for the trace file; the default location is given in that same blog entry.

You will get an absurd amount of output. Please attach it to this thread or e-mail it to me directly - your choice - and we'll see if we can figure out what's happening.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]