users@glassfish.java.net

Unable to get JDBC connections via sql tags using JSTL

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:36:37 PDT

Hello,

I have a problem using sql JSTL tags to connect to databases, where the JSP fails with a JspException saying
    Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc/foo"

The strange thing is, trying to connect to the very same datasource using JPA works just fine.

The database I'm trying to connect to is a PostgreSQL database, but I don't think that is relavant, since trying
    <sql:setDataSource dataSource="jdbc/__CallFlowPool" var="test" />
using the built-in sample data source, also fails, even though the connection pool PING works without any problems.

I am using a fresh install of Glassfish v2-b49 and v2-b58 on Windows XP sp2 and Vista Ultimate.
I have copied PostgreSQL driver JAR (postgresql-8.1-409.jdbc3.jar) to $GLASSFISH_HOME/domain/domain1/lib/ext .

I am guessing that the error message is not getting to the heart of the problem, since trying to connect to a bogus datasource using
    <sql:setDataSource dataSource="jdbc/bogusNonExsistingDataSource" var="test" />
yields the same error message. I have a suspicion that it is not the Driver that the server is unable to find, but is the JNDI resource itself.

I have tried everything I can think of, and totally at a loss. Can anyone help me please?
[Message sent by forum member 'kmiya' (kmiya)]