users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Any way to change a Listener port on the fly?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:09:25 PDT

> Users are going to get errors anyway when you move
> glassfish from 80
> to 8080 anyway.
> Why don't you run a cluster?

True, but typically only those trying to access the site during the actual transition, thus the motivation to narrow it as much as possible.

Granted, they are ALL most likely to be disappointed when they click "next" and get a "site down for maintenance page", but IMHO that's better than 403. At least it fills in the the "W" in "WTF".

I would love the run a cluster, but the site simply isn't that big, and, minimally, we can't really afford the engineering to make the app "upgradeable" on the run.

However, I would love to discuss design elements to an application that make it upgradeable on the fly via a cluster. Thats easier said than done. (Things like handling the on the fly database upgrades as well as transitioning over session state from vX.1 to vX.2 as the servers fail over).
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]