users@glassfish.java.net

Cramming Glassfish in to a smaller fish bowl

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:57:32 PDT

Anyone have any pointers on reducing overall GFv2 RC1 footprint. We have a pretty lightweight application that we'd like to deploy on it (some JSPs, servlets, a session bean, and some JPA entity beans).

Just wonder if there are knobs we can turn or stuff we can take out. I know GFv3 is more modular for this kind of thing, but we obviously can't use GFv3. I also understand that GFv2 loads services lazily, so whatever we don't use, we don't pay for. Which is also good.

But I'd like to make sure things that might be in the server that we don't use, aren't using other services that we don't use. For example, I don't want the JBI container initializing and, indirectly, initializing a bunch of services we don't use, especially since we don't use the JBI container at all. Things like that. Can we remove the admin console? Or is that harmless as long as we don't hit 4848?

The goal is to not have to learn and configure a "leaner" app server, or re tool our application to not use the app server at all if we can get GF squeezed down enough for the task at hand.

And, we'd like to do it through the config files, rather than rebuilding GF from source.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]