users@glassfish.java.net

how to propagate data implicitly on remote ejb method call

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:24:41 PDT

I have a distributed scenario: Glassfish Server A takes care of the web tier, and Glassfish Server B takes care of the business tier. So of course, my ejb bean classes reside on Server B.

I have noticed that when the web tier invokes a method on an ejb residing in the business tier, the authentication data is propagated implicitly from the web tier to the business tier.

My question is: is there any way to pass some other "user-defined" data implicitly during the invocation of a remote ejb?

For instance, let's suppose that for some unknown reason I want the web session id information to be available on the business tier side, but that I don't want to have to explicitly pass this id on every ejb method call. Is there any way for me to pass the web session id to the business tier in an implicit way? ... perhaps in a way similar to how the principal information is propagated implicitly to the business tier?

If it were not a distributed scenario, worst case scenario, I could use some ThreadLocal mechanism to pass implicit information across ejb method calls. But since it is distributed, I'm not sure if this is at all possible.

Any help is very much appreciated,
Sam
[Message sent by forum member 'sstanojevic' (sstanojevic)]