users@glassfish.java.net

JPA Persisting Problem with sub objects

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:51:21 PDT

I have an Account, which can contain a List of AccountAddresses ( which maps to ACCOUNT_ADDRESSES table). AccountAddresses contains an Address object (which maps to ADDRESS table) .

For one process (and the main one), I need to be able to persist an Account, which cascade persists the AccountAddresses, and Address objects.

For another, which uses AJAX to dynamically add a new address to an account... I simply need to be able to persist new AccountAddresses object, which may include an Address which already exists. In this case, I would only like the account_addresses table to have the record inserted.

Regardless of what I try to do, I always get the Address trying to be inserted. I need to use the em.persist so that I can get the ID of the object, which allows the user to remove it at that moment if necessary. I also set what JPA sees as the @Id and @version to the existing Address, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
  Derrick
[Message sent by forum member 'a1programmer' (a1programmer)]