users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JPA cacade remove operation: Spec vs. TLE implementation

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:10:35 PDT

I totally agree with cameronr. The point is that:

a) TLE violates the JPA spec
I consider this to be not acceptable for the RI, even if there is no test in the TCK.

b) It is a "show stopper" bug
Several people have already complained about the cascade bugs on the issue tracker and on the forum.

c) Workarounds that mess up the application design do not help
There have been several suggestions for cascade bug workarounds like:
- Name your entities in proper alphabetical order: I do not give my entities a special name for no reason.
- Do not use the cascade feature an manually remove the entities: What is a spec good for, when you can't rely on it to build portable applications.
- Do not use unidirectional OneToMany relations: I use relations the way it makes sense for the application, not for the persistence provider.

Regards
Heiko
[Message sent by forum member 'hewagn00' (hewagn00)]