users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Download War from server

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:09:16 -0700

On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:37 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>> you don't understand me. the non portable extensions
>> is not something
>> in control of the user. These are artifacts that
>> GlassFish deployment
>> can generate during the deployment phase, therefore
>> the user
>> obviously does not know if such non portable artifact
>> was generated
>> or not and therefore has no clue if he is misusing
>> the feature. As
>> far as users are concerned, they are often always
>> deploying a 100%
>> portable war file, after deployment, that percentage
>> is blurry,
>> that's why there is a deployment phase.
>
> Huh?
> And why would this export procedure bundle the code generated by
> GlassFish?
> That does not make sense. Think about it like this:
> - I gave you a web-app. Can you get me that back?

ok but this is not what Kedar understood and suggested we should
implement.

> The exported web-app is most likely going to be deployed elsewhere
> (again, on another
> GlassFish installation/domain). That deployment procedure creates
> the deployment
> artifacts again. So, why bundle them?

I cannot agree more, hence this little email thread...

so I think if you just want to have the original war file back, is it
too complicated to make it available on the http-listener's docroot ?
I know this is a manual step but it works today.

For the future, I would be fine with such an RFE as long as we
clearly state that we return the original bits, not an exported
deployed version.

>> application (web-app,

>> original untouched
>> docroot and make it
>>>
>>> Sure. Or put it in a maven-repository somewhere.

>> http://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/

>> considerations of such a
>> feature addition.
>>> May I know the security consideration?
>>
>> all web-app java code cannot be accessible publicly
>> so there would
>> need to be enough barrier that such feature is not
>> accessible without
>> an administrative password.
>
> Sure. I said "admin console". Did you miss that?

no I did not miss that. but any administrative feature is usually
provided through the console, the CLI and as an API (AMX) so this
needs to be taken into account.