users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Learning path?

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 13:48:02 +0100

On 01/06/07, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:

> I've installed GlassFish on Solaris X86 into a zone, "Hello Duke" is working fine, but I want a real application to play with. Ideally some thing that needs an Oracle or MySQL database and easy to generate some load (many connections).
>
> Should I just give up, do I need strong Java knowledge?
> Learn Java first?

God forbid :) J2EE apps are only interesting to me as a test load -
but there's enough
for a sysadmin to get his teeth into to make it fun.

> Any recommended an application to deploy/play/monitor/load on GlassFish.

I found Roller uses a fair chunk of the appservers functionality
(webapp/jdbc/javamail).
So far I've got it up and running nicely (in a solaris zone, funnily enough):

  http://number9.hellooperator.net/articles/2007/05/06/roller-on-glassfish

It runs as a straight webapp, so it's easy to generate a load with any
http benchmarking suite.

my next steps along the path are going to be clustering it, SSLing it,
single sign on etc. which should keep me busy for a while :)

See the admin guides at:

  https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/docs/DocsIndex.html#Documentation_Drafts

http://number9.hellooperator.net/