users@glassfish.java.net

Learning path?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:54:11 PDT

Hi,

I'm trying to expand my knowledge as a SysAdm, specifically in understand web environments from an administration point of view. My background is Unix sysadm.

My goals are how to install/play/monitor/tune JVM's ,web and application tier. BTW I'm not a JAVA programmer, so my terminology may be incorrect.

I've installed GlasshFish on Solaris X86 into a zone, "Hello Duke" is working fine, but I want a real application to play with. Ideally some thing that needs an Oracle or MySQL database and easy to generate some load (many connections).

Should I just give up, do I need strong Java knowledge?
Learn Java first?
Any recommended an application to deploy/play/monitor/load on GlassFish.

What path should I take?

Many Thanks

Andy
[Message sent by forum member 'apaton' (apaton)]