users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish startup lifecycle

From: <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:48:32 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>One of the nits of JEE is that there isn't any standard place to really hook in to the EJB side to perform one time startup. There's the Servlet life cycle methods that can be used, however.
>
>But there's the rub.
>
>If I have a 2 WARs in an EAR, sharing some EJBs, how does the lifecycle work?
>
>Specifically, which WAR gets their ServletContextListener first?

The order in which the listeners are invoked is undefined.
This is true even for the possibly many listeners declared within the
same web.xml.
The Servlet EG is looking into making it possible to manage the order in
which
the listeners declared in the same web.xml are to be invoked, but this
would still
leave undefined the order in which the WARs of an EAR are initialized.
This is
probably something that would need to be raised with the Java EE EG.

> Are all of the ServletContextListeners called before any of the WARs can start accepting requests?

The spec guarantees that all of a webapp's ServletContextListeners will
have been
invoked before the webapp will process any requests, but it makes no such
guarantee for the combined ServletContextListeners of the WARs inside an
EAR.

Jan